Friday, October 12, 2012

Have I told you...

About my girl?  The one who is alternately taking sips of my water and my hot tea while wearing a queen sized bed sheet as a cape and the belt from one of my disco-y shirts as a headband all Freedom Rock style?

She's the one who laughs when she farts and talks in the sweetest voice to her baby brother? The one who loves cucumbers and never lets you finish your meal by yourself, even if she's already finished hers? The one who rocks a princess costume while climbing the back fence with her brother? The one who draws pictures and makes cards for hours at a time, often while singing a song that she's made up off the cuff and somehow relates to her art?  The one whose room is a pigsty, and who wears tutus with snow boots?  Yeah that one.  My girl.

I met her on a very cold, snowy morning in February nearly six years ago.  I didn't know she was going to be who she is, but even then I knew she was perfect.  I saw her perfect pink roundness right out of the gate and said "I know that face".  She came into this world a 10, a perfect 10.  You know those APGAR measurements they give babies?  She got a ten on both measurements, which the nurses all made a biggish deal about because there are very few babies in Colorado who get tens because of the altitude.  A ten. Twice.  Perfection personified right before my very eyes.

All week I've been following the story of the little girl, Jessica Ridgeway, in Westminster, Colorado who went missing last Friday morning while walking to school.  Yesterday, on my way to work there were reports of a body being found about seven miles from her home.  I cried the whole way to work.  Thankfully, I had composed myself by the time I arrived only to find another co-worker crying as well.  Jessica.  I can imagine that Jessica's mother felt that, she too, had witnessed perfection the day her daughter came into her life.  I cannot imagine what she is feeling today after positive identification was made on the body that was her daughters.  My heart is breaking for Jessica, and for her mother today.

1 comment:

  1. And now I'm sitting on the couch crying. Hold those sweetie pies extra close. Love you.

    ReplyDelete